Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Relic


PROMPT: Find an interesting picture of an object--one that you took, or one that you discovered. Look at that object 2 different ways (modified from the prompt my friend, Betty wrote about yesterday).

***
Picture: I snapped this photo in London during the summer of 2009. It has been years since I saw an actual phone booth, and I could not help but to stop and to stare and to snap.

***

My stuttering soles stumble on stones
Step by step, springing past the iron bars
Striping my view of freedom
Shadows trail me--
Morphing as I move
The ruddy outline of an object shines
A refuge in the distance
Growing brighter, the cardinal hued box
Greets me with a choice--
I stop
I pull
Secure--I sink
Uncoil the cord,
Press the raised keys,
And wait.

***

From here,
I can watch--undisturbed--
I can observe nature's paintbrush disperse chlorophyll
And memorize the escape of every loose stone
I can inspect clumps of excess paint on the posts beside me,
And follow branches as they tumble from the blanket above
From here, I can watch the world shift
Gazing through the filmed windows,
Smudged with old particles of bad breath
And tarnished with filth,
I study Amorphous figures stumbling by,
Squinting to define them,
They fail to notice me.
Tripping texters, absorbed in conversation
Just a few years before,
I bustled with attention
Now, I am a relic
An antiquated garnish
A statue commemorating the past
The perfect hiding spot
For children raised without me.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job! The first is really really fun to read. I love all the alliteration. The 'S' sounds in the first four lines made my tongue do a little dance :)

    ReplyDelete