Friday, November 11, 2011

To The Veterans:

Thank you for my breath--
Colliding with clouds of chilled air,
It was visible, tangible even.
And I observed it as I walked,
As the chill prodded open my eyes
Before my able hands pulled open a car door,
And I nestled into my seat,
And I drove myself to work--
Appreciating endlessly
This simple gift of independence.

Thank you for the freedom to dress myself
To choose sweaters and slacks,
Silly shoes and mismatched socks,
Pearl earrings or dangly hoops
Or empty, happy pinholes with nothing at all.
For scarves wrapped loosely around my neck,
Covered slightly by long, styled hair
And framed with bronzed cheekbones,
Which aren't required to hide
Behind a veil I didn't choose to wear.

Thank you for the children I'm allowed to teach--
For their questions
More so than their answers.
For my freedom to ask them why--
To push them to think outside of boxes,
And to read,
And to write,
And to speak,
And to imagine the future
They will carve out of the bowels of their dreams.

Thank you for my choices--
For open doors and opportunities,
For my chance to choose,
To switch directions,
To go to school,
To accept a job,
To head back to the classroom,
To accept another job,
To wait for marriage,
And to be free to marry for love.

Thank you for my space to speak
To shout from the rafters,
To pry open my soul,
To bare my identity,
To type any keys I choose,
And in any combination,
To unravel my disappointments,
To combat injustice,
And marbleize my joys
With the rock of voice.

Thank you for my nation,
For my family,
For my friends,
For my home,
And for the water,
The earth,
And the sky--
And for sacrificing everything you have
To keep it blistering with sunshine,
And glowing a cerulean blue.

1 comment:

  1. Some great lines in here! Three of my favorites: 'They will carve out of the bowels of their dreams'; 'To keep it blistering with sunshine,
    And glowing a cerulean blue'. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete